We are excited about helping more people to regain and maintain their health through diet and lifestyle change, and to learn how to make better choices about medical care. We have the best and most comprehensive programs that address these issues, and we want to make our programming available to more people. We know that the best way to do this is through associates who can educate, inspire, and support our members.
This outline is designed to give you information about our company, the services we provide to the public and to our members, and how you can join with us to improve public health.
What does Wellness Forum Health do?
We provide people with evidence-based unbiased information that enables them to make informed healthcare decisions.
How we do it:
- We analyze academic and practice research on diet, health and medicine; and synthesize it into outcomes-based healthcare protocols
- We deliver this informed knowledge through media, training, certification, and second opinion programs designed for healthcare consumers and practitioners
- We listen to member needs and provide ongoing support, and related products and services
Wellness Forum Health is actually a form of healthcare that includes, but is not limited to instruction on how to adopt and maintain a plant-based diet. We recognize that in order to attain optimal health, ALL causes of disease must be addressed:
- Chronic/degenerative – these are diseases that can be addressed with diet as the primary intervention tool, but also may include additional protocols.
- Psychological issues - 25% of all Americans are taking drugs for conditions like ADHD, depression, and anxiety. Almost all of these people would be better off without the drugs, and many require psychological help and detailed instruction in order to withdraw and regain their health.
- Musculoskeletal disorders – includes chronic pain and injury. Most of the time, drugs and surgery are not warranted, the images commonly used to diagnose these conditions are inaccurate, and the right forms of physical therapy and exercise are better options. One third of workplace-related healthcare dollars are spent on musculoskeletal conditions.
- Iatrogenic disease – caused by access to healthcare that is useless and harmful, like most diagnostic testing for healthy people, and treatments for conditions that should be left alone or instead monitored through active surveillance.
Our philosophy is that while diet is important, exclusive focus on diet is a form of reductionism that prevents many people from achieving optimal health, and can even lead some people to believe that diet does not matter when diet alone fails to restore their health.
Why should I choose partnership with Wellness Forum Health?
We encourage people to adopt our approach to healthcare regardless of whether or not they choose to partner with us. However, we offer some distinct advantages, including programs and products, and an infrastructure for client support and retention that is difficult to develop by oneself. Additionally:
- Experience - we’ve been in business for almost 20 years, and we’ve developed hundreds of hours of programs that have helped tens of thousands of people to learn how to take control of their health.
- Name recognition; association with us provides credibility.
- Dr. Pam Popper and Chef Del Sroufe are internationally known experts in the food and health fields, bestselling authors, and great mentors.
- An excellent line of health-promoting products.
- Some of the best educational programs available to health professionals, ranging from individual seminars to structured learning through our Institute.
- Ongoing support from our staff, which is always available to help you. Everything you’ll be doing we’ve been doing for 18 years, and we are happy to share our experience with you in order to help you to become successful.
- This is an opportunity for you to be in business for yourself, but not by yourself.
How do I get trained?
Step I First, we require that all trainees be active, dues-paying members of Wellness Forum Health and have completed our Wellness 101 course and the first modules of the Informed Medical Consumer course. Membership allows you to experience the programs you will be offering and promoting, and we do not think you can even make a decision about whether or not to become a Health Educator without taking this first step.
Step II Basic nutrition and health training:
- The Diet and Lifestyle Intervention Course is offered once per year through The Wellness Forum Institute and begins in June. The instructors for summer semester are some of the best-known in the field of diet, health and medicine. The tuition is $1495 plus a $25 enrollment fee.
The course is also offered fall and winter semesters with instruction provided by the regular Wellness Forum Institute staff. The tuition for fall and winter semester is $695 plus a $25 enrollment fee.
The course is offered via virtual classroom (teleconference); you do not need to live in the Columbus, Ohio area in order to participate.
Step III Business training
- Orientation session to learn about Wellness Forum Health programs and products, marketing methods and business strategies. Three sessions, each two hours long. No charge for these sessions.
Step IV Start your Wellness Forum Health Practice
Step V Professional Mentoring – a 6-month program consisting of two 2-hour sessions per month. Class size limited to 12-15 health professionals. One session addresses ongoing business issues; the other addresses health issues and building good clinical skills. Tuition is $200 per month for 6 months.
Am I qualified?
We do not require that you have formal training in the nutrition or healthcare fields. We are looking for people who are currently living or want to live a health-promoting lifestyle according to Wellness Forum Health principles. Leading by example is an important part of having credibility with others. We also have identified some characteristics that are likely to make people successful in this business:
- Good communication skills
- Outgoing personality
- Compassion and empathy for other people
- Love for teaching and helping
- Like meeting new people
- Enjoy learning new things and developing new skills
If this sounds like you, you’re a great candidate for our program.
How will I be paid for the work that I do?
Clients become members in order to take our educational programs, and they purchase products from us to facilitate their healthy lifestyles. Health educators are paid commissions on membership dues and program and product sales to their clients.
Other forms of income include classes conducted in health food stores and other related businesses, some cooking classes for which you can charge additional fees, and other special services and programs. We will help you to develop a directory of services and fee schedule based on your skills and scope of practice.
How is the business marketed? How much selling is involved?
Like all businesses, Wellness Forum Health must market its programs – people cannot take our classes if they do not know about them. However, the best way to do this is not through traditional sales approaches. Our most effective strategies are delivering informational seminars, introductory dinners, strong referral incentive programs, and developing partnership relationships with like-minded practitioners and businesses. Going out to meet and talk to people, arranging presentations to groups and inviting people to presentations and events you organize are the most effective means for generating business.
You will find that it is virtually impossible to talk someone into joining – after learning about what we do, people either do or do not want to join and improve their health, and you’re not likely to change their mind. High-pressure selling is not part of our process; education is.
I have never done anything like this before and I’m nervous about it.
The skills necessary for success in this business can be learned by anyone who is determined to learn them. The question is whether or not you are willing to step outside your comfort zone, invest the time, and learn how to do new things.
Can this be done part time or do I need to make a full-time commitment?
Wellness Forum Health does not require that associates be full-time, and it is possible to do well part-time. The most important thing is to commit to spending time consistently on your business. A small amount of time invested consistently can yield great results over time.